Careers in the Sixth Form
The focus in the Sixth Form very quickly moves into options after leaving school. By the Spring Term of Year 12, the students are started on researching options and given information to help them do this. By November of Year 13 many will have completed a UCAS application, for university, and many others will be looking at apprenticeships and other employment opportunities.
Theses are the key items in the Sixth Form Careers programme
- One-to-one careers guidance interviews with the school’s Career’s Officer are available to the students should they request one.
- Tracking and development of soft skills with the online tool, Unifrog.
- Guidance on the pros and cons of the university and apprenticeship route.
- Use of a powerful online tool, Unifrog, to research apprenticeship and Higher Education (HE) opportunities.
- Opportunity to meet and question former students (alumni) who have taken a wide variety of career paths since leaving South Bromsgrove High.
- Opportunity to attend workshops on going to university and applying for apprenticeships.
- A chance to visit the school’s Careers Fair where around 40 businesses, colleges, trainers, the armed services, and universities are available to discuss future options.
- HE morning in school.
- Visit to the What Career/University show.
- Visit to the UCAS exhibition.
- Guidance direct from a representative from HE regarding personal statements.
- Work experience.
https://www.unifrog.org/. Unifrog is a complete destinations platform with numerous tools and features to support students’ post-18 applications, including allowing students to search for university courses and apprenticeships, and providing a way of recording key soft skills. Logins for Unifrog will have been sent in emails to students’ school accounts. If they have forgotten their password then they can be reset via the login pages on the Unifrog website.
https://www.ucas.com/. UCAS is the service that students use to apply, manage and track their applications for higher education courses in the UK. Students are shown how to login (and link their applications to the school) and make their applications in the summer of Year 12 before submitting their applications in the autumn term in Year 13.