Careers in Yr 9
During Year 9 there will be opportunity to research different career options and learn more about various career paths. This is done through:
- Use of a powerful online careers tool – Kudos.
- Development of soft skills through the PiXL Edge programme
- Representatives from employers visiting school to talk about their career paths
- A chance to visit the school’s Careers Fair where around 40 businesses, colleges, trainers, the armed services, and universities are available to discuss future options
- Guidance for option choices moving into GCSE
- Visits to universities and local employers
All details for logins for Kudos and PiXL Edge will have been sent in emails to students’ school accounts. If they have forgotten their password then both systems have links on their homepages to reset these.
Kudos will enable you to develop a profile that you will keep updating throughout your time at school. By answering questions about yourself it will make suggestions of careers that might interest you though you can use it simply to research a career that you are already interested in.
There is guidance in the documents below.
Development of soft skills is very important. There are no GCSEs in being a good colleague and employee, so we seek to develop and reward students in this area using PiXL Edge. By completing challenges students are recognised for their leadership, organisation, resilience, initiative and communication.
We have set up certain tasks to happen through just attending school. Students do not have to do these but by selecting these as the start or their challenges they will already be halfway there.
Once students reach a certain number of completed challenges they are awarded the PiXL Edge Apprentice certificate and then progress onto the Graduate programme.
Visits to Universities and local employers
This list is just some of those that take in our students for a 1 – 2 hour tour.
MSP Spring, Palace Theatre, Bobst, Thorlux Lighting, Lasercomb Dies, GardnerDenver, Rockline, West Mercia Police, Hereford and Worcestershire Fire Service, Basepoint Business Centre, HoW College, GT Access, ColourSource, LGHarris, OGL, Stone Manor, DRPG, University of Worcester, University of Birmingham